DNA is increasingly employed for bio and nanotechnology thanks to its exquisite versatility and designability. Most of its use is limited to linearised and torsionally relaxed DNA but non-trivial architectures and torsionally constrained – or supercoiled – DNA plasmids are largely neglected; this is partly due to the limited understanding of how supercoiling affects the rheology of entangled DNA. To address this open question we perform large scale Molecular Dynamics (MD) simulations of entangled solutions of DNA plasmids modelled as twistable chains. We discover that, contrarily to what generally assumed in the literature, larger supercoiling increases the average size of plasmids in the entangled regime. At the same time, we discover that this is accompanied by an unexpected increase of diffusivity. We explain our findings as due to a decrease in inter-plasmids threadings and entanglements. ### Competing Interest Statement The authors have declared no competing interest.
- Downloaded 189 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 103,683
- In biophysics: 4,006
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 63,360
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 63,360
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!