An antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE) activity eliminated neutralizing antibody with potent prophylactic and therapeutic efficacy against SARS-CoV-2 in rhesus monkeys
Posted 27 Jul 2020
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/2020.07.26.222257
Posted 27 Jul 2020
Efficacious interventions are urgently needed for the treatment of COVID-19. Here, we report a monoclonal antibody (mAb), MW05, showing high SARS-CoV-2 neutralizing activity by disrupting the interaction of receptor binding domain (RBD) with angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) receptor. Crosslinking of Fc with FcγRIIB mediates antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE) activity by MW05. This activity was eliminated by introducing the LALA mutation to the Fc region (MW05/LALA). Most importantly, potent prophylactic and therapeutic effects against SARS-CoV-2 were observed in rhesus monkeys. A single dose of MW05/LALA completely blocked the infection of SARS-CoV-2 in a study of its prophylactic effect and totally cleared SARS-CoV-2 in three days in a treatment setting. These results pave the way for the development of MW05/LALA as an effective strategy for combating COVID-19. ### Competing Interest Statement X.G., S.W., R.W., S.J., W.J. and C.G. are listed as inventors on the licensed patents for MW05 and MW07. S.W., R.W., S.J., M.W., W.J., Z.L., C.G., B.C., P.T., J.Z., X.G. and D.L. are employees of Mabwell (Shanghai) Bioscience Co., Ltd. and may hold shares in Mabwell (Shanghai) Bioscience Co., Ltd. The other authors declare no competing interests.
- Downloaded 1,679 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 12,893
- In microbiology: 749
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 4,495
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 49,545
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!