Ongoing large experimental characterization is crucial to determine all regulatory sequences, yet we do not know which genetic variants in those regions are non-silent. Here, we present a novel analysis integrating sequence and DNase I footprinting data for 653 samples to predict the impact of a sequence change on transcription factor binding for a panel of 1,372 motifs. Most genetic variants in footprints (5,810,227) do not show evidence of allele-specific binding (ASB). In contrast, functional genetic variants predicted by our computational models are highly enriched for ASB (3,217 SNPs at 20% FDR). Comparing silent to functional non-coding genetic variants, the latter are 1.22-fold enriched for GWAS traits, have lower allele frequencies, and affect footprints more distal to promoters or active in fewer tissues. Finally, integration of the annotations into 18 GWAS meta-studies improves identification of likely causal SNPs and transcription factors relevant for complex traits.
- Downloaded 1,472 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 10,346
- In genomics: 1,175
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 120,267
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 103,527
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!