Dynamic proteomics profiling of Legionella pneumophila infection unveils modulation of the host mitochondrial stress response pathway
The human pathogen Legionella pneumophila (L.p.) secretes ~330 bacterial effector proteins into the host cell which interfere with numerous cellular pathways and often regulate host cell proteins through post-translational modifications. However, the cellular targets and functions of most L.p. effectors are not known. In order to obtain a global overview of potential targets of these effectors, we analyzed the host cell proteome, ubiquitinome, and phosphoproteome during L.p. infection. Our analysis reveals dramatic spatiotemporal changes in the host cell proteome that are dependent on the secretion of bacterial effectors. Strikingly, we show that L.p. substantially reshapes the mitochondrial proteome and modulates mitochondrial stress response pathways such as the mitochondrial unfolded protein response (UPRmt). To our knowledge, this is the first evidence of manipulation of the UPRmt by a bacterial pathogen in mammalian cells. In addition, we have identified a previously uncharacterized L.p. effector that is targeted to host cell mitochondria and protects mitochondrial network integrity during mitochondrial stress. ### Competing Interest Statement The authors have declared no competing interest.
- Downloaded 491 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 38,580 out of 103,851
- In cell biology: 1,905 out of 5,364
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 8,744 out of 103,851
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 11,859 out of 103,851
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!