Prohibitin protects against cigarette smoke extract-induced cell apoptosis in cultured human pulmonary microvascular endothelial cells
Prohibitin is an evolutionarily conserved and ubiquitously expressed protein in eukaryocyte. It mediate many important roles in cell survival, apoptosis, autophagy and senescence. In the present study, we aimed to explore the role of prohibitin in cigarette smoke extract (CSE)-induced apoptosis of human pulmonary microvascular endothelial cells (HPMECs). For this purpose, HPMECs were trasfected with prohibitin and challenged with CSE. Our results showed that CSE exposure inhibited prohibitin expression in a dose-dependent manner in HPMECs. Overexpression of prohibitin could protect cell from CSE-induced injury by inhibiting CSE-induced cell apoptosis, inhibiting reactive oxygen species (ROS) production, increase mitochondrial membrane potential, increase the content of mitochondrial transcription factor A (mtTFA), IKKα/β phosphorylation and IκB-α degradation. CSE decreases prohibitin expression in endothelial cells and restoration of prohibitin expression in these cells can protect against the deleterious effects of CSE on mitochondrial and cells. We identified prohibitin is a novel regulator of endothelial cell apoptosis and survival in the context of cigarette smoke exposure.
- Downloaded 81 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 119,125
- In pharmacology and toxicology: 1,012
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 74,163
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 86,527
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!