Efficient inactivation of SARS-CoV-2 by WHO-recommended hand rub formulations and alcohols
Mitra L Gultom,
Tran Thi Nhu Thao,
Posted 17 Mar 2020
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/2020.03.10.986711
Posted 17 Mar 2020
The recent emergence of Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) causing COVID-19 is a major burden for health care systems worldwide. It is important to address if the current infection control instructions based on active ingredients are sufficient. We therefore determined the virucidal activity of two alcohol-based hand rub solutions for hand disinfection recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO), as well as commercially available alcohols. Efficient SARS-CoV-2 inactivation was demonstrated for all tested alcohol-based disinfectants. These findings show the successful inactivation of SARS-CoV-2 for the first time and provide confidence in its use for the control of COVID-19.
- Downloaded 20,677 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 292
- In microbiology: 31
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 1,018
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 1,126
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!