Stromal cell-contact dependent PI3K and APRIL induced NF-κB signaling complement each other to prevent mitochondrial- and endoplasmic reticulum stress induced cell death of bone marrow plasma cells
Bimba Franziska Hoyer,
Posted 21 Nov 2019
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/849638
Posted 21 Nov 2019
Persistence of long-lived, memory plasma cells in the bone marrow depends on survival factors available in the bone marrow, provided in niches organized by stromal cells. Here we describe that ex vivo we can prevent apoptosis of bone marrow plasma cells by supplying direct cell contact with stromal cells and the soluble cytokine APRIL. Integrin-mediated contact of bone marrow plasma cells with stromal cells activates the PI3K signaling pathway, leading to critical inactivation of FoxO1/3 and preventing the activation of mitochondrial stress-associated effector caspases 3 and 7. Likely, inhibition of PI3K signaling in vivo ablates bone marrow plasma cells. APRIL signaling, via the NF-kB pathway, blocks activation of the endoplasmic reticulum stress-associated initiator caspase 12. Thus, stromal cell-contact induced PI3K and APRIL-induced NF-kB signaling provide necessary and complementary signals to maintain bone marrow memory plasma cells.
- Downloaded 298 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 76,998
- In immunology: 2,054
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 95,284
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 70,507
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!