Clofazimine (CFZ) is a phenazine derivative used for treatment of leprosy, MDR-TB and XDR-TB. There is recent interest in understanding how CFZ works following the demonstration of its unique ability to shorten the treatment of MDR-TB. However, the target of CFZ in mycobacteria has remained elusive. Here, we show that CFZ binds to mycobacterial integration host factor (mIHF), which is an essential nucleoid associated protein in mycobacteria involved in DNA protection, chromosome organization and global gene regulation. We demonstrate that CFZ inhibits mIHF binding to DNA and interferes with mycobacterial gene expression. This mode of action is unique among all antibiotics including antimycibacterial agents and may help to explain its unusual action against Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Our study provides new insight about the mechanism of action of this intriguing drug and has implications for developing more effective treatment of TB.
- Downloaded 355 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 61,797 out of 118,150
- In microbiology: 4,172 out of 9,341
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 89,934 out of 118,150
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 69,966 out of 118,150
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!