Genetic risk for Alzheimer`s disease predicts hippocampal volume through the lifespan
Kristine B. Walhovd,
Anders M. Fjell,
Athanasia Monica Mowinckel,
Céline Sonja Reinbold,
Leiv Otto Watne,
Posted 23 Jul 2019
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/711689
Posted 23 Jul 2019
INTRODUCTION: It is unknown whether genetic risk for Alzheimer`s disease (AD) represents a stable influence on the brain from early in life, or whether effects are age-dependent. It is critical to characterize the effects of genetic risk factors on the primary neural substrate of AD, the hippocampus, throughout life. METHODS: Relations of polygenic risk score (PGS) for AD, including variants in Apolipoprotein E (APOE) with hippocampal volume and its change were assessed in a healthy longitudinal lifespan sample (n = 1181, 4-95 years), followed for up to 11 years with a total of 2690 MRI scans. RESULTS: AD-PGS showed a significant negative effect on hippocampal volume. Offset effects of AD-PGS and APOE ϵ4 were present in hippocampal development, and interactions between age and genetic risk on volume change were not consistently observed. DISCUSSION: Endophenotypic manifestation of polygenic risk for AD may be seen across the lifespan in healthy persons.
- Downloaded 248 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 61,075 out of 89,267
- In neuroscience: 10,860 out of 15,884
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 36,419 out of 89,267
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 48,744 out of 89,267
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!