Impact of acetolactate synthase inactivation on 1,3-propanediol fermentation by Klebsiella pneumoniae
Abstract: 1,3-Propanediol (1,3-PDO) is an important compound that is mainly used in industry for polymer production. Fermentation of 1,3-PDO from glycerol by marine Klebsiella pneumoniae is accompanied by formation of 2,3-butanediol (2,3-BDO) as one of the main byproduct. The first step in the formation of 2,3-BDO from pyruvate is catalyzed by acetolactate synthase (ALS), an enzyme that competes with 1,3-PDO oxidoreductase for the cofactor NADH. This study aimed to analyze the impact of engineering the 2,3-BDO formation pathway via inactivation of ALS on 1,3-PDO fermentation by marine K. pneumoniae HSL4. An ALS mutant was generated using Red recombinase assisted gene replacement. The ALS specific activities of K. pneumoniae ΔALS were notably lower than that of the wild-type strain. Fed-batch fermentation of the mutant strain resulted in a 1,3-PDO concentration, productivity and conversion of 72.04 g L-1, 2.25 g L-1 h-1, and 0.41 g g-1, a slightly increase compared with the parent strain. Moreover, inactivation of ALS decreased meso-2,3-BDO formation to trace amounts, significantly increased 2S,3S-BDO and lactate production, and a pronounced redistribution of intracellular metabolic flux was apparent.
- Downloaded 365 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 114,886
- In microbiology: 7,668
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 118,961
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 124,363
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- 27 Nov 2020: The website and API now include results pulled from medRxiv as well as bioRxiv.
- 18 Dec 2019: We're pleased to announce PanLingua, a new tool that enables you to search for machine-translated bioRxiv preprints using more than 100 different languages.
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!