Rxivist combines preprints from bioRxiv with data from Twitter to help you find the papers being discussed in your field. Currently indexing 66,879 bioRxiv papers from 294,441 authors.
Age differences in brain white matter microstructure in UK Biobank (N = 3,513)
Simon R Cox,
Stuart J Ritchie,
Elliot M Tucker-Drob,
David C Liewald,
Saskia P Hagenaars,
Joanna M Wardlaw,
Catharine R Gale,
Mark E Bastin,
Ian J Deary
Posted 04 May 2016
bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/051771 (published DOI: 10.1038/ncomms13629)
Posted 04 May 2016
Quantifying the microstructural properties of the human brain's connections is necessary for understanding normal ageing and disease states. We examined brain white matter MRI data in 3,513 generally healthy people aged 45-75 years from the UK Biobank sample. Using conventional water diffusion measures and newer, as-yet rarely-studied indices from neurite orientation dispersion and density imaging (NODDI), we document large age differences in white matter microstructure. Mean diffusivity was the most age-sensitive diffusion measure, with negative age associations strongest in the thalamic radiation and association fibres. Inter-individual differences in white matter microstructure across brain tracts become increasingly correlated in older age. This connectivity 'de-differentiation' may reflect an age-related aggregation of systemic detrimental effects on the brain. We report several other novel results, including comparative age associations with volumetric indices and associations with hemisphere and sex. Results from this unusually large, single-scanner sample provide one of the most definitive characterisations to date of age differences in major white matter tracts in the human brain.
- Downloaded 1,507 times
- Download rankings, all-time:
- Site-wide: 3,898 out of 66,879
- In neuroscience: 609 out of 11,970
- Year to date:
- Site-wide: 38,736 out of 66,879
- Since beginning of last month:
- Site-wide: 55,903 out of 66,879
Downloads over time
Distribution of downloads per paper, site-wide
- Top preprints of 2018
- Paper search
- Author leaderboards
- Overall metrics
- The API
- Email newsletter
- 21 May 2019: PLOS Biology has published a community page about Rxivist.org and its design.
- 10 May 2019: The paper analyzing the Rxivist dataset has been published at eLife.
- 1 Mar 2019: We now have summary statistics about bioRxiv downloads and submissions.
- 8 Feb 2019: Data from Altmetric is now available on the Rxivist details page for every preprint. Look for the "donut" under the download metrics.
- 30 Jan 2019: preLights has featured the Rxivist preprint and written about our findings.
- 22 Jan 2019: Nature just published an article about Rxivist and our data.
- 13 Jan 2019: The Rxivist preprint is live!